Find a Course & Apply!

Bursary Support

Oldham College Bursary

The Oldham College Bursary are government funds which are available to provide eligible students help towards course-related expenses such as travel, course related trips, books, equipment, meals and childcare.

Let us help you with the costs of coming to College! *

Who can apply?

We welcome applications from students:

  • Whose annual gross household income is less than £30,000
  • Who are studying on an eligible course
  • Who have had their application for an Advanced Learner Loan Approved – if applicable
  • Who are eligible to study in the UK

Students must also have a bank account in their own name, we are unable to make payment into anybody else’s account. For help opening a bank account the Money Advice Service provides an article here

Let us help you with the costs of coming to College

Travel – 16-18 year olds in Greater Manchester can apply for a free bus pass called Our Pass. This scheme will help you with your travel costs. You will pay an application fee of £10, but can apply for a refund of this fee from the Bursary. For more information about Our Pass, visit

If you are already over 18 on 31 August 2020 and live more than a mile away from College, you should apply for the Bursary for help towards your travel costs; you are unfortunately not eligible to apply for Our Pass.

Books/Equipment – If you need specific books or equipment to complete your course, we may be able to contribute to the cost by making payment direct to your course department upon request. (16-18 students ONLY).

Educational trips – If you have the opportunity to attend a course-related trip, we may be able to contribute towards the cost upon request (all age groups).

Meals – If you need help towards the cost of your meals expenses, you may qualify for a daily meals credit of £3.00 for the days you are timetabled to be in college.
Your meals credit can be used by visiting the canteen/shop in person or alternatively you can place a food order from the College Store.

You can set up your College Store account by registering at , once you have registered, you will be able to log in and place your order.
(16-18 students ONLY).

If you are aged 19 or over, you may qualify for payments towards the cost of your meals while you are in College.

UCAS-related expenses – We will reimburse the cost of your university application fee (UCAS fee) should you apply

Childcare – If you are a parent and need childcare for the days you are in College, we may be able to support you with the costs. You can choose the childcare provider, but they must be Ofsted registered.

To apply for support with your childcare expenses, you first need to complete the Online Bursary Application by clicking on this link

In addition to completing the Online Bursary Application, you need to download the relevant Childcare Application Form below, which you must complete with your childcare provider and return to us. (Age 20+)

IMPORTANT- You must contact the childcare provider you wish to use before applying for bursary funding to ensure they are able to offer you a place.

Oldham College has its own on-site nursery, Butterflies, which has received a ‘Good’ rating by Ofsted. For more information and to check availability, please contact Butterflies directly on 0161 785 4090 or have a look at the details on our website: Butterflies Nursery Information >

If you are a young parent under the age of 20, the government Care to Learn Scheme may be able to assist you with your childcare costs. To apply online, or for more information, visit

Work experience/work placement – Most courses contain some work experience. If you expect to incur additional costs for your travel or meals while you are on work experience, ask us if additional funds are available and we may be able to help you out.

Vulnerable Learners bursary (for 16-18 year olds ONLY) – An alternative Bursary is available to help with the costs associated with coming to College, if you are:

  • In care/a care leaver
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself, or financially supporting yourself and someone who is dependent on you and living with you, such as a child or partner
  • Receiving DLA/PIP and ESA/Universal Credit in your own right.

It’s easy to apply!

Need help completing your online form?

If you need help completing your online application, contact a member of the Bursary Team.

Contact Details:

Tel: 0161 785 4147

Opening Times:

Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5pm

Disclaimer – All of the information above is accurate at the time of publication.