Apply Today!

Apprenticeship Grants and Funding

Apprenticeship Grants and Funding

The Government has measures in place to help you fund your apprenticeships – which are more important than ever in this difficult period.

NEW: INCENTIVE PAYMENT FOR HIRING NEW APPRENTICES

To help the economy in the recovery period from COVID-19, the Government has introduced additional payments to support organisations that take on new apprentices.

What’s on offer?

If you take on an apprentice between 1 August 2020 and 31 January 2021, you’ll receive:

  • £2,000 for apprentices aged 16 to 24
  • £1,500 for apprentices aged 25+.

These payments are in addition to the £1,000 you already receive for taking on an apprentice who is:

  • 16 to 18 years old
  • under 25 with an education, health and care plan (EHCP), or who has been in the care of their local authority.
How does it work?

This incentive is available to all employers who take on new apprentices between 1 August 2020 and 31 January 2021. Just add your new apprentices to your Apprenticeship Service account.

To be paid the full amount, the apprenticeship must last for at least a year. You’ll be paid in two instalments: 50% after the apprentice completes 90 days with you, and the remaining 50% after their first year (365 days).

This payment is different from the Apprenticeship Levy – it can be used for anything to support your organisation’s costs, and it does NOT have to be paid back.

Reserving Apprenticeship Funds through the Apprentice Service

DON’T DELAY: Failing to register an account and secure funding is delaying starts on our system. If you need help with this process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

The Apprenticeship Service helps employers access apprenticeship funding, recruit apprentices and manage their apprenticeships.

As a local employer, you’re able to sign up and take control of your apprenticeships – as well as access the funding that will help your business grow.  

By reserving funding this way, the Government will transfer 95% of the cost to us, and as the employer you will fund the remaining 5% as your contribution.

Small employers (with fewer than 50 employees) don’t have to pay the 5% contribution – if the apprentice they take on is between 16-18 years old, or 19-24 and is a care leaver or has an EHCP.

Create your Apprenticeship Service account HERE: https://bit.ly/33xxlsV

How Oldham College can help you

We have a talent pool of great candidates from all subject areas.

For questions relating to the Apprenticeship Levy and payments and recruitment, contact our Business Development team:

Accounting, Digital & Creative, Management, Horticulture

David Morris, Workforce Development Consultant
Contact: David.Morris@oldham.ac.uk.
0161 785 3585 | 07912485448

Construction

Karen Northend, Business Advisor
Contact: Karen.Northend@oldham.ac.uk
0161 785 4052 | 07710 092 607

Hair & Beauty, Business & Paralegal, Barbering, Nails, Customer Service

Alison Woodruff, Business Advisor
Contact: Alison.Woodruff@oldham.ac.uk.
0161 785 4050

Early Years and Health

Neil Bradley, Business Advisor
Contact: Neil.Bradley@oldham.ac.uk 
0161 785 4060 | 07912 485450

For general questions relating to your apprentice:

Construction

Perry Cuppello, Sector Manager
Contact: Perry.Cuppello@oldham.ac.uk 
0161 785 5454

Belinda Corrigan, Team Leader
Contact: Belinda.Corrigan@oldham.ac.uk
0161 785 4280

Digital & Creative, Horticulture

Gillian Sarioglu, Sector Manager
Contact: Gillian.Sarioglu@oldham.ac.uk 
0161 785 4350

Early Years/Health

Joanne Plumb, Sector Manager
Contact: Joanne.Plumb@oldham.ac.uk
0161 785 4335

Hair & Beauty

Kerri-Anne Chadwick, Sector Manager
Contact: Kerri-Anne.Chadwick@oldham.ac.uk
0161 785 4343

Business and Professional

Pauline Worthington, Sector Manager.
Contact: Pauline.Worthington@oldham.ac.uk
0161 785 5497 | 07912 485 457

59%
report that training apprentices is more cost-effective than hiring skilled staff.
41%
say that their apprentices make a valuable contribution to the business during their training period