As a junior hairdresser, you would carry out tasks like:
- greeting customers
- shampooing hair
- simple cutting
- making sure towels and supplies are ready for use
- ensuring the salon is clean and tidy.
As a senior hairdresser, you would talk to clients about how they want their hair done, and give them advice and suggest style ideas.
Your work would include:
- shampooing and conditioning
- cutting and styling
- colouring, perming or straightening
- advising on minor hair and scalp problems
- making appointments and handling payments
- ordering materials
- making sure that hair products containing chemicals are used and stored correctly.
You could specialise in working with particular clients or techniques, for example in a men's barber shop or pressing, braiding and plaiting Afro-Caribbean hair.