- Health and safety and environmental working practices
- Establish effective working relationships
- Prepare for the installation and maintenance of highway electrical systems and Equipment
- Apply surface protection to highway electrical systems
- Carry out emergency work on highway electrical systems
- Identify and correct faults in highway electrical systems, equipment and components
- Install and connect highway electrical systems, equipment and components
- Install highway electrical infrastructure equipment
- Maintain highway electrical systems, equipment and components
The above provide the basis of what is required to become a competent Highways Electrical Operative where you will carry out activities such as attending road traffic incidents, performing cyclic maintenance, testing and inspecting, installing different types of infrastructure and interpreting site drawings.
You will engage with various types of companies that provide services such as civil engineering, electrical, surveying and road surfacing and you will work in companies that will expect you to travel the country and engage with all types of staff members from fellow highways operatives to directors.
Throughout your apprenticeship you will develop your motor skills, interactivity, manner and attitude as well as gaining qualifications such as:
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Temporary Traffic Management
- The correct and safe use of Mobile Elevated Working Platforms
- Abrasive Wheels training
This list and the above list are by no means exhaustive as there are many different routes available within this sector. Contact us!