Working with all ages, the role is to work under the instruction of teaching/senior staff to enable access to learning for pupils and to assist the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom. Work may be carried out in the classroom or outside the main teaching area, under the direction of a teacher.
Day to day activities and expectations within the role
1. Establish rapport and respectful, trusting relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
2. Assist and support pupils, including those with special needs, in respect of personal, local and national learning strategies across the curriculum, as directed by the teacher. Ensure all pupils are safe and have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
3. The role may include supporting pupil’s personal programmes, relating to social, health, physical, hygiene, and welfare matters. The pupil may also need assistance to access different areas of the school. Following appropriate training and in line with school procedures, to administer basic first aid and/or medication as required.
4. Promote inclusion and acceptance of all pupils by encouraging them to interact with each other and to engage in activities led by the teacher.
5. Promote self-esteem and encourage pupils to act independently as appropriate.
6. Provide feedback on pupils’ personal needs as appropriate.
KEY TASKS – Support for Teachers
7. Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate. Support pupils to understand instructions.
8. Gather, report information from/to parents/carers as directed.
9. Be aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and report to the teacher as agreed.
10. Undertake basic pupil record keeping as requested.
11. Prepare classroom as directed for lessons and clear-up afterwards.
12. Assist with the display of pupils’ work.
13. Prepare and maintain equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist pupils in their use.
14. Provide routine clerical support for teachers, e.g. photocopying, filing, collecting money, checking deliveries and placing goods in stock and maintaining records of stock.
KEY TASKS – Support for the School
15. To support others within the classroom and the School, contributing to the achievement of School objectives by working as part of a team.
16. Assist with activities outside the classroom, working as part of a team to oversee pupils and support Activity Leaders, e.g. Breakfast Club or accompanying to swimming lessons. (If this is an agreed part of the working pattern)
17. Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out-of-school activities as required.
To understand the importance of inclusion, equality and diversity, both when working with pupils and with colleagues, and to promote equal opportunities for all.
To uphold and promote the values and the ethos of the school.
To implement and uphold the policies, procedures and codes of practice of the School, including relating to customer care, finance, data protection, ICT, health & safety, anti-bullying and safeguarding/child protection.
To take a pro-active approach to health and safety, working with others in the school to minimise and mitigate potential hazards and risks, and actively contribute to the security of the school, e.g. challenging a stranger on the premises.
5. To participate and engage with workplace learning and development opportunities to continually improve own performance and that of the team/school, subject to the school training plan.
6. To attend and participate in relevant meetings as appropriate.
7. To undertake any other additional duties commensurate with the grade of the post.
Excellent communication skills.
Good numeracy, literacy and ICT Skills.
Able to work flexibly as the workload demands.
To improve own practice/knowledge through self-evaluation and learning from others.
Desired personal qualities:
Able to relate well to children and adults.
The ability to work as part of a team
Maths and English GCSEs grades 9 – 4(A-C or equivalent)
Training to be provided (Qualifications to be gained):
Cache Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools.
Functional Skills English L2
Functional Skills Maths L1
Functional Skills ICT L1
Employment Rights and Responsibilities.